De Pueblo a Pueblo (From Town to Town) is an eight-‐week celebration in Spring 2012 that will honor our local Mexican community by promoting greater understanding of traditional arts, language, and history of our southern neighbors. The citywide festival will connect this growing population and their customs with a broader Philadelphia audience.
This festival will kick off on April 27 with the opening reception for Echele Ganas: Do Your Best, a photographic exhibition featuring the people of La Sierra del Norte, a small village in Puebla, Mexico. This event and exhibition will take place at Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens and will serve as the geographic and visual heart of De Pueblo a Pueblo.
Over 20 participating groups are providing a variety of opportunities to learn more about Mexican culture and have fun in the process. Hands-‐on activities, performances, traditional foods, crafts and folk art, and discussions about immigration provide many windows to learn about our neighbors south-‐of-‐ the-‐border.
De Pueblo A Pueblo was formed in partnership with Laurence Salzmann and Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, modeled after Salzmann’s previously-‐organized El Festival Cubano. Salzmann, a photographer and documentarian, saw his recent series of photo essays as catalysts to connect the Mexican population of Philadelphia through meaningful, relationship-‐building programs and events. The festival Advisory Committee, comprised of many supporters of the local Mexican community, developed the concept for De Pueblo a Pueblo and coordinates the participants.
More information and details about De Pueblo a Pueblo events will be provided at www.depuebloapueblo.org and on the Facebook profile “De Pueblo a Pueblo.”
- Casa Monarca: Children’s theater piece, casamonarca.org
- Copabana: Mexican food specials and Cinco de Mayo fest, copabanana.com
- Drexel University: Film screenings, drexel.edu
- Eye’s Gallery: Jewelry exhibition, eyesgallery.com
- International House: Film screening, ihousephilly.org
- Laurence Salzmann: Photographs and film, echeleganas.com
- Messages in Motion: Recorded messages for Mexico, messagesinmotion.com
- Mexican Cultural Center: Film screenings, arts workshop, mexicanculturalcenter.org
- Moonstone, Inc: Film screening, discussion, print exhibition, moonstone.org
- Ollin Yoliztli Calmecac: Beading workshop, ollinyoliztlicalmecac.org
- Penn Museum: Maya 2012 Exhibition, pennmuseum.org
- Pio Pio Productions: Film, discussion
- Puentes de Salud: TBA, puentesdesalud.org
- San Mateo Carnavalero: Festival and parade, sanmateocarnavalero.com
- Scribe Video Center: Workshop with filmmaker Laurence Salzmann, scribe.org
- The Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia: Bilingual bike safety workshop, bicyclecoalition.org
- Tonantzin Coatlicue: Dance performance, raicesaztecas.blogspot.com